Mexico City’s Urban Morphology
Mexico City is a giant laboratory of urban morphology. Its 20 million residents live in neighborhoods based on a wide spectrum of plans. Here are some examples…
Geometric plans dominate throughout Mexico City. The Federal neighborhood (above) evokes the radiating streets of Palmanova, a town designed by Vicenzo Scamozzi in Renaissance Italy.
Nezahualcóyotl (above), or Ciudad Neza, is a municipality of one million people within Mexico City’s metropolitan area. Its street plans follow a standardized layout — public amenities with green space confined within mega-blocks.
The rich and famous tend to prefer organic forms, and tend not to economize on water for their gardens. In the wealthy neighborhood of Jardines del Pedregal (above), some houses have heliports…
In recent years, Mexico’s federal government has invested substantially in housing for the poor. Its programs, such as those beautifully photographed by Livia Corona, have rehoused over two million families in massive developments like Los Héroes Tecámac (below) in Ecatepec de Morelos.
Modernist planning is still alive in Mexico, where planners appear to have substantial power in society. The challenge of resettling so many families in so few years has been solved through standardization. Many new settlements resemble enlarged microchips.
Other developments — like Geovillas Santa Bárbara (above) — have curved streets and more diverse layouts, but they are usually for higher-income populations.
The social dynamics behind urban growth in low-income areas are complex, and self-made construction is the rule. Very few public or private initiatives strike a balance between top-down and bottom-up housing development. Instead there are extreme disparities between the two.
Street markets under red canopies show up frequently in satellite images of Mexico City. The market above is in Xico, another municipality within the metropolitan area.
Xico is bordered by Chalco Lake (above) and the Santa Catarina Mountains (below). Here, urban development takes place without much formal planning. Green space and public amenities seem a luxury.
There is a real need for a new approach to urban development — one that empowers informal communities without imposing insensitive planning from above, addressing the roots of urban poverty instead of formalizing it.
(Credits: Images from Google Earth. | Reposted from Jordi Sanchez-Cuenca)
- idreamtiwasabutterfly likes this
- stochastastic reblogged this from writingcapital
- writingcapital reblogged this from youthisastateofmind
- melisajoselyn reblogged this from fuckyeahmexico
- melisajoselyn likes this
- perpetualoysterbars reblogged this from guatepolitics
- kaickul reblogged this from guatepolitics
- l8 likes this
- napkinknuckles reblogged this from trapollinaire
- trapollinaire reblogged this from guatepolitics
- liquified-dreams reblogged this from badass-bharat-deafmuslimpunkstar
- majjestiic reblogged this from badass-bharat-deafmuslimpunkstar
- backyardvoodoo likes this
- weasleyowl reblogged this from texmexqwoc and added:
- applebutterbomb likes this
- texmexqwoc reblogged this from badass-bharat-deafmuslimpunkstar
- haralambros likes this
- aj-derr reblogged this from badass-bharat-deafmuslimpunkstar
- it-takesdedication reblogged this from badass-bharat-deafmuslimpunkstar
- le-prince-des-fees likes this
- vatique reblogged this from badass-bharat-deafmuslimpunkstar
- it-takesdedication likes this
- vatique likes this
- badass-bharat-deafmuslimpunkstar reblogged this from sinidentidades
- lobitalolita likes this
- moreo-mcflurry likes this
- verster reblogged this from youthisastateofmind
- shadesofgraymatter likes this
- youthisastateofmind reblogged this from sinidentidades
- iufy likes this
- apocalypticwallpaper reblogged this from sinidentidades and added:
- nephastopheles reblogged this from sinidentidades
- waitloss likes this
- whatmakespistachionuts likes this
- jazzymine likes this
- therearepeoplewho reblogged this from sinidentidades
- starkidinvasion likes this
- skyorchid likes this
- r2articles reblogged this from knowledgeequalsblackpower
- mousecouch likes this
- knowledgeequalsblackpower reblogged this from sinidentidades
- badass-bharat-deafmuslimpunkstar likes this
- thebayouprincess likes this
- letslook4treasure likes this
- mujerrevoltosa likes this
- sinidentidades reblogged this from guatepolitics
- acidoergossum likes this
- findout likes this
- jirowsky reblogged this from guatepolitics
- purppleclouds likes this